Clean sofa brings life to your home. Whether you have a fabric sofa, velvet sofa or leather sofa, your home looks fresh and inviting with your clean looking sofas. So, it is important to understand how you can keep your sofa clean, healthy and safe for years.
How to Choose the Right Sofa for Your Home?
Choosing the right kind of sofa for your home is extremely important. This will not only help you have your colour perfect sofa that matches your home’s interior design, but also have understand what kind of sofas are best with the family you live in. White coloured sofa is great in style and looks classy. But, if you have pets and toddlers around, this can be a very bad choice as keeping them clean every day becomes a tough job.
Also, before buying your dream sofa for your home, you can always look for the fabric it has and how often will it need to be cleaned and maintained. Whether you want a fabric couch, a leather sofa or a velvet sofa, it becomes important to protect it from the dust & dirt for its long life. The cost attached to buying the sofa is not just the purchase amount, but cleaning and maintaining its look and feel throughout the years, is what needs to be planned while choosing the right sofa for your family home.
Is it Important to Clean Your Sofa Regularly?
Whatever the type of sofa you have, it is important to clean your sofa regularly to keep them in shape, protected and fresh looking. Cleaning your sofa is not just about dusting and fluffing the cushions on your sofa, it is about keeping it dirt and germ-free for your healthy family.
How Often Should You Clean Your Sofa?
Now that you know that it is really important to keep your sofa clean regularly. But, what does this ‘regularly’ mean for your sofa cleaning process? This totally depends on the frequency of using your sofa and on the fabric that it is upholstered with.
If you have fabric sofa which is used on a daily basis, you would at least need to clean your sofa by dusting every day and by vacuuming fortnightly. Fabrics take up the dirt, dust and germs easily which causes skin & breathing diseases like hives & asthma respectively. Also, vacuuming becomes equally important for the under-the-cushion areas where dirt is likely to gather.
Hence, always be open for spot cleaning your sofa as and when you see stains or dirt before it becomes hard to remove ones. Also, always look for the tags on the sofa when you purchase one, about the cleaning processes.
How to Clean Your Fabric Sofa?
So you have a fabric sofa at your home and you want to spot clean them, here are a quick easy steps to do it:
Step #1 – Use a vacuum cleaner to instantly clean your sofa and remove all of those difficult dust and stains
Step #2 – Sometimes, lint can be a problem in your dream sofa. So, use a lint brush to take off all the lint and pet hair
Step #3 – Fabric sofa easily catches up the stains which becomes stubborn day by day, if not cleaned on the spot. So, let’s try the vinegar solution to clean the hard stains.
- Take 1 cup of water in a bowl
- Add 1 cup of vinegar into the bowl
- Mix them to make it a solution
- Add it to the spray bottle
- Sprinkle the solution using the spray bottle
- Use a microfiber cloth that is soft in nature to clean the sofa with the solution
Step #4 – Using Detergent solution can also work best for the fabric sofa. Here is the method to prepare it:
- Take 1 cup of water in a bowl
- Add 1 cup of laundry detergent to the water
- Scrub your sofa using this solution
Things to take care with this solution:
- You can also use any upholstery product to sanitise your fabric sofa
- Be sure to not over scrub your sofa as it may damage it
- If not sure on how to use it properly, contact the upholstery cleaning experts.
Step #5 – Open up your home windows & doors to air dry your sofa. This speed up the process of drying out your sofas.
Step #6 – You can now choose any brand to buy the stain guard spray to protect your sofas from getting any new stains.
How to Clean Your Velvet Sofa?
Velvet sofa gives a rich and classy look to your home. And, as it is adds ‘WOW’ factor to your home, it seeks more attention and care to keep it clean compared to fabric sofas.
But, here are a quick and easy steps to keep your velvet sofa clean, safe & healthy for years:
- Take a soft lint brush to remove the lint and other dust gathered on the surface of your velvet sofa.
- For hard stains, you can always use the laundry solution (mentioned above) and dab it on your sofa until it gets vanished.
- Upholstery cleaners need to be tried on a certain small area of your sofa to test it does not damage your velvet sofa.
- It is very important to dry out your wet velvet sofa as moisture can damage velvet. So, use your hairdryer or a fan to blow dry your velvet sofa.
How to Clean Your Leather Sofa?
Cleaning your leather sofa is important because any stains or regular dust can damage the look of your home and your sofa as well. So, here are a few steps you can take to protect your leather sofa by keeping them clean and safe:
- Use a moisturising soap to keep your leather sofa clean. But, make sure you don’t use it in a combination with water as it can create a new stain altogether.
- Keep your leather sofa moisturised regularly using some safe conditioner or treatment. These solutions have oils and waxes that prevents the leather from getting scratched or damaged.
- Always take proper care of your leather sofa will make them better year after year.
- As you know that leather needs extra attention, always contact leather upholstery cleaning professionals for the long life of your leather sofa.
Toms is a leading sofa cleaning services company. Contact us now to keep any type of your sofa clean, safe and refreshing.